Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Main Pal Do Pal Ka Shaayar / I'm a poet only for a second or two


mai.n pal do pal ka shaayar huu.n I'm a poet only for a second or two;
pal do pal merii kahaanii hai my story will be over in a few seconds.
pal do pal merii ha.nstii hai My laughter is only for a moment or two;
pal do pal merii jawaanii hai my youth will be over in a few moments.
mai.n pal do pal ka shaayar huu.n I'm a poet only for a second or two.
mujhse pahale kitne shaayar aaye aur aakar chale gaye Many poets came before me, and after coming, departed;
kuchh aahe.n bharkar lauT gaye some went filled with sighs,
kuchh nagme gaakar chale gaye and some went singing songs.
voh bhii ek pal ka qissa tha They were only the story of a moment in time;
mai.n bhii ek pal ka qissa huu.n I too am only the story of a moment.
kal tumse judaa ho jaa'uu.nga Tomorrow I will be separated from you,
voh aaj tumhaara hissa huu.n but for today, I'm a part of you.
mai.n pal do pal ka shaayar huu.n I'm a poet of a moment or two, no more.
kal aur aa'e.nge nagmo.n kii Tomorrow new songs will arrive,
khiltii kaliyaa.n chunnevaale freshly bloomed blossoms to be plucked.
mujhse behatar kahanevaale There will be better storytellers than me,
tumse behatar sunnevaale and better listeners than you.
kal koii mujhko yaad kare Tomorrow, someone might remember me;
kyo.n koii mujhko yaad kare but why should anyone remember me?
masaruuf zamaana mere li'e For my sake, why should this busy world
kyo.n vaqt apna barbaad kare waste its time?
mai.n pal do pal ka shaayar huu.n I'm a poet only for a moment or two.

-- Sahir Ludianvi (One of the greatest poet of last century) , translation : unknown, Picture is from Movie "Kabhie Kabhie" in which this song was featured. Amitabh signs autograph for Rakhi, after this song.