Friday, December 16, 2005

‘Tis my heart, not brick, nor stone / Dil Hi To Hai Na Sang-o-Khist

‘Tis my heart, not brick, nor stone
Weeps like others; don’t you know?
It will cry, a thousand times
Why, do you, torture it so?

At temples, mosques, nor at his door
Not even, on, my beloved’s porch
I wait, along a distant road
Why do others, ask me to go?

His face, its beauty, lights my heart
Brighter than, the midday’s glow
His sight, it sears, with every gaze
Why is it, he veils it so?

Your tender glance, a fatal knife
Like haughty darts, from a deadly bow
Your image is, enough for me
My self, to you, I dare not show

Life, a prison; my anguish, its chain
Filled with sorrow; both, the same
Is my wish, for death, insane?
How else, do I, remove my pain?

Beauty does agree with you
Lust - ‘tis my carnal quest m
I must control, my inner thoughts
Why have you, put me, to this test?

There; a modest dignity
Here; a show of shy respect
Can we meet, along the way?
Will he call me, to his fest?

I know, he does not, fear God
Disloyal and faithless, he maybe
The loyal, the faithful, those two
They have never, interested me

Ghalib, the wretch; when he leaves
The world, without him, will not cease
So, when he dies, no need to mourn
So, when he dies, no need to grieve


----------------------------------

Dil Hi To Hai Na Sang-o-Khist
Dard Se Bhar Na Aaaye Kyon?
Royenge Hum Hazaar Baar
Koyee Hamein Sataye Kyon?

Dair Nahin, Haram Nahin,
Dar Nahin, Aastan Nahin
Baithe Hain Reh-Guzar Pe Hum
Gair Hamein Uthaye Kyon?

Jab Voh Jamaal-e-Dilfaroze
Surte-Mehre Neem-Roze
Aap Hi Ho Nazaar-Soze
Parde Mein Munh Chuppaye Kyon?

Dashne-e-Gamaz Jaan-Sitan
Naavke-Naaz Bepanah
Tera Hi Akse-Rukh Sahi,
Saamne Teray Aaye Kyon?

Qaide-Hayat-O-Band-e-Gam,
Asl Mein Dono Aik Hain
Maut Say Pehlay Aadmi
Gum Say Nijaat Paye Kyon?

Husn Aur Us Pe Husn-e-Zun
Reh Gayee Bulhavas Ki Sharm
Apne Pe Eitmad Hai,
Gair Ko Aazmaye Kyon?

Van Voh Garure-Izz-o-Naaz
Yan Yeh Hijabe-Paase-Vazan
Rah Mein Hum Milain Kahan
Bazm Mein Voh Bulaye Kyon?

Han Voh Nahin Khuda Parasat
Jaao Voh Baiwafa Sahi
Jisko Ho Din-o-Dil Aziz
Uski Gali Mein Jaye Kyon?

Ghalib-e-Khasta Kay Bagair
Kaunsay Kaam Band Hain?
Roeeye Zar-Zar Kaya?
Keejiye Haye-Haye Kyon?

-- Mirza Asadullah Khan 'Ghalib'